Tuesday, May 31, 2022

In Tribute to My Sister — Johnetta Louise, My Sister - May 22, 1943 - 11/2001


When Johnetta was seven years old,
a fire storm came
raging inside her body and mind –
rheumatic fever seared her blood
and caused her screams
of hallucinating imaginings
and suffering moans
to pierce the solemn bedroom
where a sacred vigil of angels
encamped about its four corners
And where family huddled nearby
bowed in hallowed and humbled prayer
that ole death would not take her
to its resting chambers
It seems someone was always by her bedside,
and she was attended daily
by a dedicated physician, Doctor Phinizy
…Then one day
the fever broke
and joy abounded
God had healed our beloved Johnetta
She was saved
And I am so thankful that I was blest
to grow up with her, and to know her
as my beloved sister and my very best friend
Johnetta endured many trials by fire
But she stood with Jesus through and through
She took up her cross daily
and carried her pains and sufferings
with praise to God
and a song in her heart
of pure love and unfaltering faith
in God’s amazing grace
He was her refuge and her fortress
It was her “devoted sister” love for me –
unconditionally –
that will always be a blessed testimony
forever along beside me
as a holy grail
to ensure that I will not fail
It is the love from the depths of God’s heart
which only He can impart
Johnetta kept a vigil of prayer
as a mantle about me –
covering me in goodness and mercy
and loving-kindness
to follow me all the days of my life.
She was just the best.
Love you always Johnetta
“O give thanks to the Lord, for He is good;
for His mercy and loving-kindness endure forever.
Psalms 118-1
 
(Johnetta and Ruth - Photo taken by cousin Laura Ware, mid-70s)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment